- ground coloring matter mixed with gum and formed into a crayon
- such a crayon
- a picture drawn with such crayons
- drawing with pastels as an art form or medium
- a soft, pale shade of any color
Origin of pastelFrench ; from Italian pastello ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form pastellum, diminutive of Late Latin pasta, paste
- soft and pale: said of colors
- of pastel
- drawn with pastels
- a. A drawing medium of dried paste made of ground pigments and a water-based binder that is manufactured in crayon form.b. A crayon of this material.
- a. A picture or sketch drawn with this type of crayon.b. The art or process of drawing with pastels.
- A soft delicate hue; a pale color: a room done all in pastels.
- A sketchy or brief prose work.
- Of, relating to, or made of pastel.
- Pale and soft in color.
Origin of pastelFrench, from Italian pastello, material made into a paste, from Late Latin pastellus, woad dye, diminutive of pasta, paste; see paste1.
Mother and Child
by Mary Cassatt