A bowl of lobster bisque.
bisque definition by Webster's New World
- a rich, thick, creamy soup made from shellfish or from rabbit, fowl, etc.
- a thick, strained, creamy vegetable soup
- an ice cream containing ground macaroons or nuts
- biscuit ceramic ware left unglazed in the finished state
- a red-yellow color
Origin: ; from biscuit
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
a handicap of one point per set in tennis, one turn per game in croquet, or one or more strokes per game at match play in golf
bisque definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A rich, creamy soup made from meat, fish, or shellfish.b. A thick cream soup made of puréed vegetables.
- Ice cream mixed with crushed macaroons or nuts.
Origin: Perhaps from French dialectal, sour soup, from Biscaye, Bay of Biscay.
- See biscuit.
- a. A pale orange-yellow to yellowish gray.b. A color ranging in various industries from moderate yellowish pink to grayish yellow.
Origin: From biscuit.
An advantage allowed an inferior player in certain games, such as a free point in tennis, an extra turn in croquet, or an additional stroke in golf.