- a small stick of chalk, charcoal, or colored wax, used for drawing, coloring, or writing
- a drawing made with crayons
Origin: French pencil ; from craie, chalk ; from Classical Latin creta, chalk, white earth, probably ; from (terra) creta, sifted (earth) ; from past participle of cernere, to sift: see crisis
- crayonist noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A stick of colored wax, charcoal, or chalk, used for drawing.
- A drawing made with one of these sticks.
Origin: French, diminutive of craie, chalk, from Latin crēta.
- crayˈon·ist , crayˈon·er noun