The definition of a pencil is a narrow tube-shaped instrument filled with graphite or colored wax that is used for writing and drawing.noun
An example of a pencil is what a student uses for answering questions on a test.
Pencil is defined as to draw or write with an instrument that produces marks which can be erased.verb
An example of pencil is to enter an appointment on a calendar that might have to be erased if the appointment is rescheduled.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- Archaic an artist's small, fine brush
- the individual style or ability of an artist
- a slender, rod-shaped instrument of wood, metal, etc. with a center stick of graphite, crayon, etc. that is sharpened to a point for marking, writing, and drawing
- something shaped or used like a pencil; specif.,
- a small cosmetic stick as for darkening or redrawing the contours of the eyebrows
- a stick of some medicated substance: a styptic pencil
- a series of lines or rays coming to or spreading out from a point
- Math. a set of lines, planes, etc. passing through a given point or points and satisfying a given equation, as
- all the lines passing through a given point
- all the planes passing through a given line
- all the circles lying in a given plane and passing through two fixed points
Origin: ME pencel < MFr pincel < VL *penicellus < L penicillus, a brush < dim. of penis, a tail, penis: mod. sense & form infl. by pen
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A narrow, generally cylindrical implement for writing, drawing, or marking, consisting of a thin rod of graphite, colored wax, or similar substance encased in wood or held in a mechanical holder.
- Something shaped or used like a pencil, especially a narrow medicated or cosmetic stick: an eyebrow pencil.
- a. A style or technique in drawing or delineating.b. Descriptive skill: “His characters are drawn with a strong pencil” (Henry Hallam).c. An artist's brush, especially a fine one.
- Physics A beam of radiant energy in the form of a narrow cone or cylinder.
- Mathematics A family of geometric objects, such as lines, that have a common property, such as passage through a given line in a given plane.
- To write or produce by using a pencil.
- To mark or color with or as if with a pencil.
Origin: Middle English pencel, artist's brush, from Old French pincel, peincel, from Vulgar Latin *pēnicellus, alteration of Latin pēnicillus, diminutive of pēniculus, diminutive of pēnis, tail, brush; see pes- in Indo-European roots.
- penˈcil·er, penˈcil·ler noun