An example of a pencil is what a student uses for answering questions on a test.
An example of pencil is to enter an appointment on a calendar that might have to be erased if the appointment is rescheduled.
An eyebrow pencil.
- A small cosmetic stick as for darkening or redrawing the contours of the eyebrows.
- A stick of some medicated substance.A styptic pencil.
- All the lines passing through a given point.
- All the planes passing through a given line.
- All the circles lying in a given plane and passing through two fixed points.
She penciled him in for dinner next week.
Why is it not lawfull for every man to pourtray himself with his pen, as it was for him to doe it with a pensell?
I penciled (BrEn: pencilled) it in my notebook.
I am very busy today but I can pencil you in at 3 p.m.
Origin of pencil
- Middle English pencel artist's brush from Old French pincel, peincel from Vulgar Latin pēnicellus alteration of Latin pēnicillus diminutive of pēniculus diminutive of pēnis tail, brush pes- in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition