- a small tablet or lozenge containing medicine, flavoring, etc.
- a pellet of aromatic paste, burned for fumigating or deodorizing
- pastel for crayons
- a crayon of pastel
Origin of pastilleFrench ; from Classical Latin pastillus, little roll, lozenge ; from base of pascere, to feed: see food
- A small medicated or flavored tablet; a troche.
- A tablet containing aromatic substances that is burned to fumigate or deodorize the air.
- A pastel paste or crayon.
Origin of pastilleFrench, from Spanish pastilla, perfume pellet, and Italian pastillo, pastille, both from Latin p&amacron;stillus, little loaf, medicine tablet, diminutive of p&amacron;nis, bread; see p&amacron;- in Indo-European roots.
The sweets are named after Italian confectioner Giovanni Pastilla who made them for Marie de Medici.