- dividing; separating
- given, spoken, done, etc. at parting
- the act of breaking, dividing, or separating
- a place of division or separation; dividing point or line
- something that separates or divides
- a leave-taking or departure
- a. The act or process of separating or dividing.b. The state of being separated or divided.
- A departure or leave-taking.
- The act of parting or dividing; the state of being parted; division; separation.
- A farewell, the act of departing politely.
- (UK) The dividing line formed by combing the hair in different directions; part (US)
- (founding) The surface of the sand of one section of a mould where it meets that of another section.
- (chemistry) The separation and determination of alloys; especially, the separation, as by acids, of gold from silver in the assay button.
- (geology) A joint or fissure, as in a coal seam.
- (nautical) The breaking, as of a cable, by violence.
- (mineralogy) Lamellar separation in a crystallized mineral, due to some other cause than cleavage, as to the presence of twinning lamellae.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
- Present participle of part.