- The definition of bitting is to cut a key to fit in a lock, or to put a bridle into a horse's mouth.
- An example of bitting is a locksmith cutting a set of indentations on a key.
- An example of a bitting is training a horse to walk with a bridle.
Variant of bit
- the part of a bridle that goes into a horse's mouth, used to control the horse
- anything that curbs or controls
- the part of a pipestem held in the mouth
- the part of a key that actually turns the lock
- the cutting part of any tool, as the blade of a plane
- a drilling or boring tool for use in a brace, drill press, etc.
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English bite, a bite ; from bītan, bite