- Present participle of bridle.
Variant of bridle
- a head harness for guiding a horse: it consists of headstall, bit, and reins
- anything resembling a horse's bridle
- anything that controls or restrains
- a connecting metal strip for limiting motion in machinery
- Naut. a cable with the ends fast and another cable attached to it between the ends for applying force, as in towing a ship
Origin of bridleMiddle English and amp; Old English bridel ; from bregdan, move quickly: see braid
- to pull one's head back quickly with the chin drawn in as an expression of anger, scorn, pride, etc.
- to take offense (at)