- Farewell is defined as goodbye.
An example of farewell is what a person might say when his friend embarks on a trip across the country.
A woman says farewell.
Origin of farewellfare (imper.) + well
- words spoken at parting, usually of good wishes
- a leaving or going away
- An acknowledgment at parting; a goodbye.
- The act of departing or taking leave.
Origin of farewellMiddle English fare wel : imperative of faren, to fare; see fare + wel, well; see well2.
- He said "Farewell!" and left.
(third-person singular simple present farewells, present participle farewelling, simple past and past participle farewelled)
- To bid farewell or say goodbye
From Middle English farewel, from fare wel!, an imperative expression, equivalent to fare (“to fare, travel, journey”) + well. Cognate with Scots farewele, fairweill (“farewell”), West Frisian farwol (“farewell”), Dutch vaarwel (“farewell”), Danish farvel (“farewell”), Norwegian farvel (“farewell”), Swedish farväl (“farewell”), Faroese farvæl (“farewell”), Icelandic far vel (“farewell”).