- Needle is defined as a thin and sharp piece of metal used in sewing, used to give injections, and used in a variety of other situations where a thin and sharp piece of metal is pointed on one end.
- A thin, sharp piece of metal with an eye on the end that thread goes through and that is used for sewing is an example of a needle.
- A thin, sharp piece of metal attached to a syringe and used to give an injection is an example of a needle.
- A thin, sharp piece of metal used in knitting is an example of a needle.
- A thin, metal pointer on a compass is an example of a needle.
- The definition of needle is to annoy someone by nagging or criticizing, or to pierce something as if pricked by a long thin piece of metal.
- If you constantly nag and bother your friend, this is an example of when you needle your friend.
- If a little speck of dirt feels like it is cutting your eye, this is an example of when it needles your eye.
A sewing needle tucked into a spool of thread.
needle definition by Webster's New World
- a small, slender piece of steel with a sharp point at one end and a hole for thread at the other, used for sewing by hand or for surgical sutures
- a similar implement with a hole for thread near the pointed end, used esp. on sewing machines
- a slender rod of steel, bone, wood, etc. with a hook at one end, used for crocheting
- a similar rod, usually larger and without a hook, used in knitting
- stylus ()
- a pointed instrument used in etching or engraving
- the magnetized pointer of a compass
- the indicator or pointer of a speedometer or other gauge
- the thin, short, pointed leaf of such trees as the pine, spruce, etc.
- needle valve
- the sharp, very slender metal tube at the end of a hypodermic syringe, that is introduced into the blood vessel, muscle, etc.
- ☆ Informal a hypodermic injection
- any of various other slender, tubelike devices for inserting, as to inflate or inject
- electric needle
- any object roughly resembling a needle or its point in shape, as the sharp point of some crystals, a narrow, pointed rock, an obelisk, spire, etc.
Origin: Middle English nedle ; from Old English nædl, akin to German nadel ; from Indo-European base an unverified form (s)nē-, an unverified form (s)nēi-, to sew, spin from source snood, Classical Latin nere, Classical Greek nein, to spin
- to sew, puncture, etc. with a needle
- to provoke into doing something; goad; prod
- to tease or heckle
- ☆ Slang to strengthen by adding alcohol: to needle beer
- to work with a needle; sew
- to form needles in crystallization
needle definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A small, slender implement used for sewing or surgical suturing, made usually of polished steel and having an eye at one end through which a length of thread is passed and held.b. Any one of various other implements, such as one used in knitting or crocheting.
- A slender piece of jewel or steel used to transmit vibrations from the grooves of a phonograph record.
- a. A slender pointer or indicator on a dial, scale, or similar part of a mechanical device.b. A magnetic needle.
- a. A hypodermic needle.b. Informal A hypodermic injection; a shot.
- Chiefly Upper Northern U.S. See dragonfly. See Regional Note at dragonfly.
- A narrow stiff leaf, as those of conifers.
- A fine, sharp projection, as a spine of a sea urchin or a crystal.
- A sharp-pointed instrument used in engraving.
- Informal A goading, provoking, or teasing remark or act.
- To prick, pierce, or stitch with a small, slender, sharp-pointed implement.
- Informal To goad, provoke, or tease.
- Slang To increase the alcoholic content of (a beverage).
Origin: Middle English nedle, from Old English nǣdl; see (s)nē- in Indo-European roots.
- neeˈdler noun
left to right: sailmaking, sewing machine, and tapestry needles
bottom right: spring needle
needle - Medical Definition
- A slender, usually sharp-pointed instrument used for puncturing tissues, suturing, or passing a ligature around an artery.
- A hollow, slender, sharp-pointed instrument used for injection or aspiration.
needle - Phrases/Idioms
give someone the needleâ
on the needleâ
needle - Science Definition