- The definition of a locale is a specific place, especially in a story.
An example of a locale is Rapunzel's tower.
The tower is a specific locale in the story of Rapunzel.
a place or locality, esp. with reference to events or circumstances connected with it, often as a setting for a story, play, etc.
Origin of localeOld French local
- A place, especially with reference to a particular event: the locale of a crime.
- The scene or setting, as of a novel.
Origin of localeFrom French local, local, locale, from Old French; see local.
- The place where something happens.
- Being near running water and good shade, the explorers decided it was a good locale for setting up camp.
- (computing) The set of settings related to the language and region in which a computer program executes. Examples are language, paper format, currency and time formats, character encoding etc.