- Resident is defined as living somewhere on a long-term basis or working somewhere in-house.
- An example of a phrase using resident as an adjective is a resident Floridian, which is a person who lives in Florida.
- An example of a phrase using resident as an adjective is a resident expert on legal affairs, a lawyer who works in-house at a company.
- The definition of a resident is a person who lives somewhere or a medical student in training.
- An example of a resident is someone who lives in Florida.
- An example of a resident is a first year medical student working at a hospital.
resident definition by Webster's New World
- living in a place for some continuous period; having a residence (in or at); residing
- living or staying in a place while working, carrying on official duties, etc.; being in residence
- present, inherent, or intrinsic in something
- not migratory: said of birds, etc.
Origin: Middle English ; from Classical Latin residens, present participle
- a person who lives in a place, as distinguished from a visitor or transient
- ☆ a doctor who is serving a residency
- a bird or animal that is not migratory
resident definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One who resides in a particular place permanently or for an extended period, as:a. A diplomatic official residing in a foreign seat of government.b. A colonial official acting as adviser to the ruler of a protected state, often having quasi-gubernatorial powers.c. A member of an intelligence-gathering or nonuniformed law enforcement agency who resides and oversees operations in a certain locale: the FBI resident in St. Louis.d. One who lives in a dormitory.
- A physician receiving specialized clinical training in a hospital, usually after completing an internship.
- A nonmigratory bird or other animal.
- Dwelling in a particular place; residing: resident aliens.
- Living somewhere in connection with duty or work.
- Inherently present: resident anxieties.
- Nonmigratory: resident fauna.
resident - Computer Definition
A piece of code, whether a regular program or a virus, that is not cleared from memory after its execution. A resident virus loads its replication module into memory and makes sure that the operating system always calls this module when it wants to execute another program, thus allowing the virus to spread.
resident - Legal Definition
resident - Medical Definition