- The definition of a denizen is a person who inhabits or is a resident of a particular place, or a plant or animal that has become naturalized.
- When someone lives in a particular town, he is an example of a denizen of that town.
- When a bird becomes naturalized to a certain geographic area, this is an example of the bird being a denizen.
- an inhabitant or occupant
- a frequenter of a particular place
- Brit. an alien granted specified rights of citizenship
- an animal, plant, foreign word, etc. that has become naturalized
Origin of denizenMiddle English denisein ; from Anglo-French deinzein ; from Old French native inhabitant ; from denz, within ; from Late Latin de-intus ; from Classical Latin de intus, from within
- An inhabitant; a resident: denizens of Monte Carlo.
- One that frequents a particular place: a bar and its denizens.
- Ecology An animal or a plant naturalized in a region.
- Chiefly British A foreigner who is granted rights of residence and sometimes of citizenship.
transitive verbden·i·zened, den·i·zen·ing, den·i·zens Chiefly British
Origin of denizenMiddle English denisein, from Anglo-Norman denzein, from deinz, within, from Late Latin deintus, from within; see dedans .
- An inhabitant of a place; one who dwells in.
- The giant squid is one of many denizens of the deep.
- One who frequents a place.
- The denizens of that pub are of the roughest sort.
- Though born in Iceland, he became a denizen of Britain after leaving Oxford.
- (biology) An animal or plant from a particular range or habitat.
- The bald eagle is a denizen of the northern part of the state.
As a British legal category, used between 13th and 19th century (mentioned but not used in 20th century), made obsolete by naturalisation – see denization.
(third-person singular simple present denizens, present participle denizening, simple past and past participle denizened)
From Middle English denisein, from Anglo-Norman denzein, from deinz (“within”), from Late Latin deintus (“from within”) (French dedans).
denizen - Computer Definition
An inhabitant of a particular place. A "denizen of the Internet" is a person who frequently uses the Web or other Internet facilities.