- The definition of a denizen is a person who inhabits or is a resident of a particular place, or a plant or animal that has become naturalized.
- When someone lives in a particular town, he is an example of a denizen of that town.
- When a bird becomes naturalized to a certain geographic area, this is an example of the bird being a denizen.
denizen definition by Webster's New World
- an inhabitant or occupant
- a frequenter of a particular place
- Brit. an alien granted specified rights of citizenship
- an animal, plant, foreign word, etc. that has become naturalized
Origin: Middle English denisein ; from Anglo-French deinzein ; from Old French native inhabitant ; from denz, within ; from Late Latin de-intus ; from Classical Latin de intus, from within
denizen definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An inhabitant; a resident: denizens of Monte Carlo.
- One that frequents a particular place: a bar and its denizens.
- Ecology An animal or a plant naturalized in a region.
- Chiefly British A foreigner who is granted rights of residence and sometimes of citizenship.
Origin: Middle English denisein, from Anglo-Norman denzein, from deinz, within, from Late Latin deintus, from within; see dedans .
- denˌi·zen·aˈtion noun
denizen - Computer Definition
An inhabitant of a particular place. A "denizen of the Internet" is a person who frequently uses the Web or other Internet facilities.