- living in a place for some continuous period; having a residence (in or at); residing
- living or staying in a place while working, carrying on official duties, etc.; being in residence
- present, inherent, or intrinsic in something
- not migratory: said of birds, etc.
Origin of residentMiddle English from Classical Latin residens, present participle
- a person who lives in a place, as distinguished from a visitor or transient
- a doctor who is serving a residency
- a bird or animal that is not migratory