- The definition of innocuous is not harmful or not likely to offend.
An example of innocuous is playful teasing between friends.
innocuous definition by Webster's New World
- that does not injure or harm; harmless: an innocuous insect
- not controversial, offensive, or stimulating; dull and uninspiring: an innocuous speech
Origin: Classical Latin innocuus ; from in-, not plush nocuus, harmful ; from nocere, to harm, injure: see necro-
innocuous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Having no adverse effect; harmless.
- Not likely to offend or provoke to strong emotion; insipid.
Origin: From Latin innocuus : in-, not; see in-1 + nocuus, harmful (from nocēre, to harm; see nek-1 in Indo-European roots).
- in·nocˈu·ous·ly adverb
- in·nocˈu·ous·ness noun
innocuous - Medical Definition