innocuous[i näk′yo̵̅o̅ əs]
- The definition of innocuous is not harmful or not likely to offend.
An example of innocuous is playful teasing between friends.
- that does not injure or harm; harmless: an innocuous insect
- not controversial, offensive, or stimulating; dull and uninspiring: an innocuous speech
Origin of innocuousClassical Latin innocuus ; from in-, not + nocuus, harmful ; from nocere, to harm, injure: see necro-
- Having no adverse effect; harmless.
- Not likely to offend or provoke to strong emotion; insipid.
Origin of innocuousFrom Latin innocuus : in-, not; see in–1 + nocuus, harmful (from nocēre, to harm; see nek-1 in Indo-European roots).
(comparative more innocuous, superlative most innocuous)
From Latin innocuus (“harmless”).