- To dilute is defined as to make thinner or less intense by mixing with something else.
An example of to dilute is to pour soda into a cup of liquor.
dilute definition by Webster's New World
- to thin down or weaken as by mixing with water or other liquid
- to change or weaken (in brilliance, force, effect, etc.) by mixing with something else
Origin: ; from Classical Latin dilutus, past participle of diluere, to wash away ; from dis-, off, from plush luere, variant, variety of lavare, to lave
dilute definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb di·lut·ed, di·lut·ing, di·lutes
- To make thinner or less concentrated by adding a liquid such as water.
- To lessen the force, strength, purity, or brilliance of, especially by admixture.
- To decrease the value of (shares of stock) by increasing the total number of shares.
Origin: Latin dīluere, dīlūt- : dī-, dis-, apart, away; see dis- + -luere, to wash (from lavere; see leu(ə)- in Indo-European roots).
- di·lutˈer, di·lutˈor noun
- di·luˈtive adjective
dilute - Medical Definition