- To concentrate is defined as to focus, bring to a common center or increase the strength of.
- An example of to concentrate is focusing your energy on healing.
- An example of to concentrate is to bring three lanes of traffic into one lane of traffic.
- An example of to concentrate is to boil balsamic vinegar until it is a thick, strong tasting syrup.
transitive verbconcentrated, concentrating
- to bring to, or direct toward, a common center
- to collect or focus (one's thoughts, efforts, etc.)
- to increase the strength, density, or intensity of
Origin of concentrate; from concenter + -ate
- to come to or toward a common center
- to direct one's thoughts or efforts; fix one's attention (on or upon)
- to increase in strength, density, or intensity
verbcon·cen·trat·ed, con·cen·trat·ing, con·cen·trates
- a. To direct or draw toward a common center; focus.b. To bring into one main body: Authority was concentrated in the president.
- To make (a solution or mixture) less dilute.
- a. To converge toward or meet in a common center.b. To increase by degree; gather: “Dusk began to concentrate into full night” (Anthony Hyde).
- To direct one's thoughts or attention: We concentrated on the task before us.
Origin of concentrateFrom concenter.
(third-person singular simple present concentrates, present participle concentrating, simple past and past participle concentrated)
- (intransitive) To bring to, or direct toward, a common center; to unite more closely; to gather into one body, mass, or force.
- to concentrate rays of light into a focus
- to concentrate the attention
- Let me concentrate!
- To increase the strength and diminish the bulk of, as of a liquid or an ore; to intensify, by getting rid of useless material; to condense; -- opposed to dilute.
- to concentrate acid by evaporation
- to concentrate by washing
- To approach or meet in a common center; to consolidate.
- Population tends to concentrate in cities.
- (intransitive) To focus one's thought or attention (on).
- A substance that is in a condensed form.
From French concentrer.