Crystal is defined as a mineral that is generally made of transparent quartz in a shape of cubic symmetry or a glass that is clear, colorless and of high quality.noun
- An example of a crystal is a piece of amethyst in its natural form.
- An example of a crystal is an antique European wine glass with cut out ornamentation.
The definition of crystal is clear or see through.adjective
An example of crystal used as an adjective is the phrase "crystal lake" which means a lake where there is no garbage, pollution, etc. ruining the color or clarity of the water.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- a clear, transparent mineral; esp., pure quartz
- a piece of such quartz cut in the form of an ornament
- a very clear, brilliant glass
- articles made of this glass, such as goblets, bowls, or other ware
- ☆ the transparent protective covering over the face of a watch
- anything clear and transparent like crystal
- a solidified form of a substance in which the atoms or molecules are arranged in a definite pattern that is repeated regularly in three dimensions: crystals tend to develop forms bounded by definitely oriented plane surfaces that are harmonious with their internal structures
- Radio, Elec. a piezoelectric body or plate, as of quartz, used to control very precisely the frequency of an oscillator or as a circuit element in a crystal filter or a body, often of Rochelle salt, used in a transducer, as in a crystal pickup or microphone
Origin: altered (modeled on L) < ME & OFr cristal, OE cristalla < L crystallum, crystal, ice < Gr krystallos < kryos: see crude
- of or composed of crystal
- like crystal; clear and transparent
- Radio of or using a crystal
Origin: see crystal
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A homogenous solid formed by a repeating, three-dimensional pattern of atoms, ions, or molecules and having fixed distances between constituent parts.b. The unit cell of such a pattern.
- A mineral, especially a transparent form of quartz, having a crystalline structure, often characterized by external planar faces.
- a. A natural or synthetic crystalline material having piezoelectric or semiconducting properties.b. An electronic device, such as an oscillator or detector, using such a material.
- a. A high-quality, clear, colorless glass.b. An object, especially a vessel or ornament, made of such glass.c. Such objects considered as a group.
- A clear glass or plastic protective cover for the face of a watch or clock.
- Slang A stimulant drug, usually methamphetamine, in its powdered form.
Origin: Middle English cristal, from Old French, from Latin crystallum, from Greek krustallos, ice, crystal; see kreus- in Indo-European roots.
crystal - Computer Definition
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
crystal - Cultural Definition
crystal - Medical Definition
- A homogenous solid formed by a repeating, three-dimensional pattern of atoms, ions, or molecules and having fixed distances between constituent parts.
- A mineral, especially a transparent form of quartz that has a crystalline structure and is often characterized by external planar faces.
crystal - Science Definition
- A homogenous solid formed by a repeating, three-dimensional pattern of atoms, ions, or molecules and having smooth external surfaces with characteristic angles between them. Crystals can occur in many sizes and shapes. ♦ The particular arrangement in space of these atoms, molecules, or ions, and the way in which they are joined, is called a crystal lattice. There are seven crystal groups or systems. Each is defined on the basis of the geometrical arrangement of the crystal lattice.
- a. A natural or synthetic material, such as quartz or ceramic, that consists of such crystals. When subjected to mechanical stresses, crystalline materials can generate an electric charge or, when subjected to an electric field, they can generate mechanical vibrations in what is known as the piezoelectric effect .b. An electrical device, such as an oscillator or a diode used for detecting radio signals, made of such a material.
- crystalline crystalline adjective
Crystal lattice systems (clockwise from top left): triclinic, orthorhombic, monoclinic, tetragonal, hexagonal, trigonal, and cubic.
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.