marcasite definition by Webster's New World
- an orthorhombic mineral, FeS, that is dimorphic with pyrite; iron sulfide
- this mineral cut and mounted on silver or other white metal to look like brilliants
Origin: French marcassite ; from Midieval Latin marcasita ; from Arabic marqashītā ; from Persian marqashīshā
marcasite definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A mineral with the same composition as pyrite, FeS2, but differing in crystal structure. Also called white iron pyrites.
- An ornament of pyrite, polished steel, or white metal.
Origin: Middle English, from Medieval Latin marcasīta, from Arabic marqašīīā, from Aramaic marqəšitā, from Akkadian marḫašu, from marḫaši, ancient region in the eastern Iranian plateau.
- marˌca·sitˈi·cal adjective
marcasite - Science Definition