- The definition of a conserve is a jam made with multiple fruits and nuts or raisins.
An example of a conserve is a jam of strawberries, apples and peanuts.
- Conserve means to protect or save, or to make fruit into preserves.
- An example of conserve is to turn off the lights to save energy.
- An example of conserve is to turn strawberries into chunky jam.
conserve definition by Webster's New World
- to keep from being damaged, lost, or wasted; save
- to make (fruit) into preserves
Origin: Middle English conserven ; from Old French conserver ; from Classical Latin conservare, to keep, preserve ; from com-, with plush servare: see observe
conserve definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb con·served, con·serv·ing, con·serves verb, transitive
- a. To protect from loss or harm; preserve: calls to conserve our national heritage in the face of bewildering change.b. To use carefully or sparingly, avoiding waste: kept the thermostat lower to conserve energy.
- To keep (a quantity) constant through physical or chemical reactions or evolutionary changes.
- To preserve (fruits) with sugar.
Origin: Middle English conserven, from Old French conserver, from Latin cōnservāre : com-, intensive pref.; see com- + servāre, to preserve; see ser-1 in Indo-European roots.
- con·servˈa·ble adjective
- con·servˈer noun