- An example of something consequential is the decision to cut education funding.
- An example of something consequential is the need to get physical therapy after you break your leg.
The definition of consequential is important or something that follows another act.
- following as an effect or inference
- Rare acting important; pompous
Origin of consequentialfrom Classical Latin consequentia (see consequence) + -al
- Following as an effect, result, or conclusion; consequent.
- Having important consequences; significant: “The year's only really consequential legislation was the reform of Social Security” ( New York Times )
- a. Important; influential: a consequential figure in the academic community.b. Pompous; self-important: “He's a proud, haughty, consequential, turned-up-nosed peacock” ( Charles Dickens )
- con′se·quen′ti·al′i·ty con′se·quen′tial·ness
(comparative more consequential, superlative most consequential)