- The definition of consequence is a natural result that flows from something else, or importance in ranking.
- If you do something wrong and get grounded, this is an example of aconsequence.
- If there is a matter of great importance that you have to address, this is an example of a matter of greatconsequence.
consequence definition by Webster's New World
- a result of an action, process, etc.; outcome; effect
- a logical result or conclusion; inference
- the relation of effect to cause
- importance as a cause or influence: a matter of slight consequence
- importance in rank; influence: a person of consequence
Origin: Old French ; from Classical Latin consequentia ; from consequens, present participle of consequi, to follow after ; from com-, with plush sequi, to follow: see sequent
consequence definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Something that logically or naturally follows from an action or condition. See Synonyms at effect.
- The relation of a result to its cause.
- A logical conclusion or inference.
- Importance in rank or position: scientists of consequence.
- Significance; importance: an issue of consequence. See Synonyms at importance.
consequence - Phrases/Idioms
in consequence (of)
take the consequences