- The definition of antique is a car that is greater than 25 years old.
An example of an antique car would be a 1966 Ford Mustang.
- Antique means things that are old or not of a contemporary nature.
An example of something that is antique is a piece of jewelry that belonged to your great grandmother.
- In accordance with U.S. Customs laws, an antique is defined as a material item made at least 100 years ago.
An example of an antique is an ornate chair from 1875.
An antique room with antique furniture.
antique definition by Webster's New World
- of ancient times; ancient; old
- out-of-date; old-fashioned
- in the style of classical antiquity
- of, or in the style of, a former period
- dealing in antiques
Origin: French ; from Classical Latin antiquus, ancient, old ; from ante, before
- anything from ancient times; relic
- the ancient style, esp. of Greek or Roman sculpture, architecture, etc.
- a piece of furniture, silverware, etc. made in a former period, generally more than 100 years ago
antique definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Belonging to, made in, or typical of an earlier period. See Synonyms at old.
- Of or belonging to ancient times, especially of, from, or characteristic of ancient Greece or Rome.
- Of or dealing in antiques.
- Old-fashioned: wore a suit of rather antique appearance.
- An object having special value because of its age, especially a domestic item or piece of furniture or handicraft esteemed for its artistry, beauty, or period of origin.
- The style or manner of ancient times, especially that of ancient Greek or Roman art: an admirer of the antique.
Origin: French, from Latin antīquus; see ant- in Indo-European roots.
- an·tiqueˈly adverb
- an·tiqueˈness noun