- a love of, or taste for, objects of artistic value, as curios, antiques, etc.
- such objects, collectively
- the quality of being artistic, beautiful, rare, or otherwise such as to interest a collector of such objects
Origin of virtuItalian virtù, excellence, virtue ; from Classical Latin virtus, strength, virtue
- A knowledge or love of or taste for fine objects of art.
- Objects of art, especially fine antique objets d'art, considered as a group.
Origin of virtuItalian virtù, virtue, virtu, from Latin virt&umacron;s, excellence, virtue; see virtue.
- (art) Knowledge of the fine arts
- (art) objets d'art collectively