- a side view of the face
- a drawing of such a view
- a view of anything in contour; outline: the profile of a distant hill
- a short, vivid biographical and character sketch
- a degree of exposure to or contact with others, esp. the public: a celebrity who keeps a low profile after a scandal
- a graph, diagram, piece of writing, etc. presenting or summarizing data relevant to a particular person or thing
- a set of characteristics developed for use in identifying a particular person or thing as likely to belong to a certain group, to engage in a certain activity, etc.
- Archit. a side or sectional elevation of a building, etc.
Origin of profileItalian profilo from profilare, to outline from pro- ( from Classical Latin pro-), before + filo ( from Classical Latin filum), thread, line: see pro and file
transitive verb-·filed·, -·fil·ing
- to sketch, write, or make a profile of
- to give or assign a specified profile to
- to identify or single out by means of a profile (noun) of