intransitive verblagged, lag′ging
- to fall, move, or stay behind; loiter; linger
- to move or develop more slowly than expected, desired, etc.; be retarded in motion, development, etc.
- to become gradually less intense, strong, etc.; wane; flag
- in the game of marbles, to toss a marble toward a line marked on the ground to determine the order of play
- Billiards to strike the cue ball so that it rebounds from the far rail to stop as close as possible to the near rail or the string line: done to decide the order of play
Origin of laguncertain or unknown; perhaps akin to obsolete Danish lakke, to go slowly
- a falling behind or being retarded in motion, development, etc.
- the amount of such falling behind; interval between two related events, processes, etc.: the lag of peak current behind peak voltage
- a lagging, as in billiards and marbles
- Archaic one that lags, or is last