Fought against graft; fighting for her rights.
Newlyweds having a fight over chores.
They are always fighting about money.
A fight for the attainment of civil rights.
An example of a fight is a boxing match.
To fight a head cold, legislation to fight poverty.
To fight one's way to the top.
Full of fight.
An example of to fight is for a teenager to argue with his mother over his curfew.
An example of to fight is to remain strong through a battle with cancer.
Fought my way to the top.
Fought his boss over every penny; fought temptation.
Fought the attempt to close the school.
I just didn't have any fight left in me.
- To combat one evil or one set of negative circumstances by reacting in kind.
- To avoid meeting or confronting.
- to fight until one side is defeated
- to repel an attack by
- to struggle to avoidTo fight off starvation.
Other Word Forms
Origin of fight
- Middle English fighten from Old English feohtan, fihtan
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition