- the act of withdrawing
- the act or process of giving up the use of a narcotic drug to which one has become addicted, typically accompanied by distressing physiological and mental effects (withdrawal symptoms)
- coitus interruptus
- When you take $10 out of your bank account, this is an example of a withdrawal.
- When you stop taking cocaine and your body experiences changes as a result of the loss of the drug, this is an example of withdrawal.
The definition of withdrawal is the act of taking something out, or stopping participation in an activity.
- The act or process of withdrawing, as:a. A retreat or retirement: the dinner guests' withdrawal to the den.b. The removal of people from a place, as in the removal of troops from a military position.c. Detachment, as from social or emotional involvement.d. A removal of something that has been deposited, as in an account.
- a. Discontinuance of the use of a drug or other substance, especially one that is addictive.b. The physiological and mental reaction to such discontinuance, often characterized by distressing symptoms: is going through withdrawal from opioids.
- Informal A condition likened to that which is experienced when discontinuing use of an addictive substance: has been going through withdrawal since his favorite show ended.
- The act or an instance of retracting or revoking: feared the withdrawal of his parents' permission.
- Coitus interruptus.
Discontinuation of the use of an addictive substance. The symptoms of withdrawal include headache, diarrhea, and tremors and can range from mild to life threatening, depending on the extent of the body's reliance on the addictive substance.
- Receiving from someone's care what one has earlier entrusted to them. Usually refers to money.
- A method of birth control which consists of removing the penis from the vagina before ejaculation.
- A type of metabolic shock the body undergoes when a substance, usually a toxin such as heroin, to which a patient is addicted is withheld. Sometimes used with the substance as modifier
- heroin withdrawal
- nicotine withdrawal
- An act of withdrawing.
From withdraw +"Ž -al.
withdrawal - Medical Definition
- Discontinuance of the use of a drug or other substance, especially one that is addictive.
- The physiological and mental reaction to such discontinuance, often characterized by distressing symptoms: is going through withdrawal from opioids.
- Coitus interruptus.
- He must have sensed the cause of her sudden withdrawal, and spoke gently.
- At the ecclesiastical council which took place at Paris in 1406 Pierre d'Ailly made every effort to avert a new withdrawal from the obedience and, by order of the king, took the part of defender of Benedict XIII., a course which yet again exposed him to attacks from the university party.
- It is just a question, however, whether, even in instances such as these, the nutritional failure may not be explained upon the assumption of withdrawal of the local vasomotor control.
- By threatening a formal withdrawal from his obedience.
- "The withdrawal of your army beyond the Niemen, sire," replied Balashev.