- Wherefore is defined as because, therefore or for which.
An example of wherefore used as a conjunction is in the phrase, "the reason wherefore we decided to see that movie."
- Wherefore means the reason.
An example of a wherefore is the cause of a disaster; the cost and wherefore of a disaster.
Origin: Middle English hwarfore: see where and amp; for
- for which: the reason wherefore we have met
- on account of which; because of which; therefore: we are victorious, wherefore let us rejoice
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- For what purpose or reason; why.