- The definition of a torrent is a stream or rush of something like water, rain or mail.
An example of torrent is rain coming down at a rapid pace.
torrent definition by Webster's New World
- a swift, violent stream, esp. of water
- a flood or rush of words, mail, etc.
- a very heavy fall of rain
Origin: French ; from Classical Latin torrens, burning, roaring, rushing, impetuous, present participle of torrere, to parch, dry, roast, consume: see thirst
torrent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A turbulent, swift-flowing stream.
- A heavy downpour; a deluge.
- A heavy, uncontrolled outpouring: a torrent of insults; torrents of mail.
Origin: Latin torrēns, torrent-, from present participle of torrēre, to burn; see ters- in Indo-European roots.