- The definition of a torrent is a stream or rush of something like water, rain or mail.
An example of torrent is rain coming down at a rapid pace.
- a swift, violent stream, esp. of water
- a flood or rush of words, mail, etc.
- a very heavy fall of rain
Origin: Fr from Classical Latin torrens, burning, roaring, rushing, impetuous, present participle of torrere, to parch, dry, roast, consume: see thirst
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A turbulent, swift-flowing stream.
- A heavy downpour; a deluge.
- A heavy, uncontrolled outpouring: a torrent of insults; torrents of mail.
Origin: Latin torrēns, torrent-, from present participle of torrēre, to burn; see ters- in Indo-European roots.
torrent - Computer Definition
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.