- The definition of a blizzard is an intense snowstorm, or a heavy amount of something.
An example of a blizzard is a snowstorm that traps people in their houses for days.
A car driving down the road is nearly hidden by the blizzard.
blizzard definition by Webster's New World
- a severe snowstorm characterized by cold temperatures and heavy drifting of snow
- an overwhelming number or amount; deluge
Origin: uncertain or unknown; perhaps ; from dialect, dialectal bliz, violent blow; uncertain or unknown; perhaps akin to German blitz, lightning
blizzard definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A violent snowstorm with winds blowing at a minimum speed of 35 miles (56 kilometers) per hour and visibility of less than one-quarter mile (400 meters) for three hours.b. A very heavy snowstorm with high winds.
- A torrent; a superabundance: a blizzard of phone calls.
Origin: Perhaps of imitative origin.
blizzard - Science Definition