- The definition of torrential is rapidly pouring rain or water that is flowing forcefully and rapidly.
- When it is raining so hard you can't see out your car window even with the windshield wipers going, this is an example of a torrential rain.
- When you are white water rafting and the river is flowing extremely fast and forcefully, this is an example of water that would be described as torrential.
torrential definition by Webster's New World
- of, having the nature of, or produced by, a torrent
- like a torrent, as in violence or copiousness
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- torrentially adverb
torrential definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Resembling, flowing in, or forming torrents: torrential mountain streams; a torrential downpour.
- Resulting from the action of fast-flowing streams: torrential erosion.
- Flowing or surging abundantly; wild: torrential applause.
- tor·renˈtial·ly adverb