- The definition of a waterfall is a steep cliff or incline down which water cascades.
Niagara Falls is an example of a waterfall.
Niagara Falls is a famous waterfall.
- A flow of water over the edge of a cliff.
- (figuratively) A waterfall-like outpouring of liquid, smoke, etc.
- A waterfall of mist from the open freezer.
- (technical, computing, slang) Waterfall model
- A very long duration project [...] had taken a whole group of people through a painful waterfall development process.
(third-person singular simple present waterfalls, present participle waterfalling, simple past and past participle waterfalled)
- (intransitive) To fall like a waterfall.
From Middle English waterfal, waterfalle, from Old English wæterġefeall (“waterfall”), equivalent to water + fall. Cognate with West Frisian wetterfal (“waterfall”), Dutch waterval (“waterfall”), German Wasserfall (“waterfall”), Swedish vattenfall (“waterfall”).