Origin of Niagaraafter Niagara Falls (the waterfall)
a torrent, or flood
river between W N.Y. & SE Ontario, Canada, flowing from Lake Erie into Lake Ontario: c. 36 mi (58 km)
Origin of Niagarafrom French from Iroquoian town name
A torrent or flood: “engulfed by the Niagara of Americanisms that flowed over them” ( Wall Street Journal )
Origin of NiagaraAfter Niagara (Falls) 1
- The largest of the lake ports is at Buffalo at the head of Niagara river, where, owing to the Niagara cataract, lake boats from the W.
- When his purpose became known to the Masons, Morgan was subjected to frequent annoyances, and finally in September 1826 he was seized and surreptitiously conveyed to Fort Niagara, whence he disappeared.
- Lovejoy at Niagara Falls, who passed atmospheric air, or air enriched with oxygen, about a high tension arc made as long as possible; but the company (the Atmospheric Products Company) was a failure.
- Of these the largest is the cataract of Niagara, about 1 m.
- Niagara river, connecting lakes Erie and Ontario, with a fall of 326 ft.