- The definition of a spurt is a sudden burst of energy or spray.
An example of a spurt is steam being quickly released from a pressure cooker.
- Spurt is defined as to squirt a jet of liquid.
An example of spurt is antifreeze spraying out of the radiator of an overheated car.
spurt definition by Webster's New World
Origin: probably altered by metathesis ; from Middle English sprutten, to sprout, spring forth ; from Old English spryttan ; from base of sprutan: see sprout
- to gush forth in a stream or jet
- to show a sudden, brief burst of energy, increased activity, etc., as near the end of a race
- a sudden gushing or shooting forth; jet
- a sudden, brief burst of energy, increased activity, etc.
spurt definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A sudden forcible gush or jet.
- A sudden short burst, as of energy, activity, or growth.
- To gush forth suddenly in a jet.
- To make a brief intense effort or show a sudden increase in activity or speed.
Origin: Origin unknown.