- The definition of a whoosh is a sound of whirling air.
An example of a whoosh is the sound of a breeze quickly passing by.
- Whoosh is defined as to move fast, or to make the sound of something whirling through the air.
An example of whoosh is for a basketball to whizz by someone's face.
- to make the quick, hissing, or rushing sound of something moving swiftly through the air
- to move swiftly with or as with this sound: rockets whooshed by
Origin of whooshechoic
- used to suggest this sound or movement
- used to express surprise or sudden, strong feeling
- A sibilant sound: the whoosh of the high-speed elevator.
- A swift movement or flow; a rush or spurt.
intransitive verbwhooshed, whoosh·ing, whoosh·es also wooshed or woosh·ing or woosh·es
- To make a soft sibilant sound.
- To move or flow swiftly, often when making such a sound.
Origin of whooshImitative.
- A breathy sound like that of an object passing at high speed.
(third-person singular simple present whooshes, present participle whooshing, simple past and past participle whooshed)
- To make a breathy sound like a whoosh.