- The definition of a whoosh is a sound of whirling air.
An example of a whoosh is the sound of a breeze quickly passing by.
- Whoosh is defined as to move fast, or to make the sound of something whirling through the air.
An example of whoosh is for a basketball to whizz by someone's face.
whoosh definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- to make the quick, hissing, or rushing sound of something moving swiftly through the air
- to move swiftly with or as with this sound: rockets whooshed by
to cause to whoosh
a whooshing sound or movement
- used to suggest this sound or movement
- used to express surprise or sudden, strong feeling
whoosh definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A sibilant sound: the whoosh of the high-speed elevator.
- A swift movement or flow; a rush or spurt.
- To make a soft sibilant sound.
- To move or flow swiftly with or as if with such a sound.