An example of to swish is to mix mouthwash around in the mouth.
- to move with a sharp, hissing sound, as a cane swung through the air
- to move with a light, brushing sound, as skirts in walking
- Basketball to pass through the basket without hitting the hoop or backboard: said of a ball
Origin of swishechoic
- to cause to swish
- to move (liquid), esp. in the mouth, with a light, hissing or gurgling sound: swish the mouthwash around
- Basketball to cause (a ball) to swish
- a hissing or rustling sound
- a movement, etc. that makes this sound
- Slang an effeminate male homosexual: a term of contempt and hostility
- Brit., Informal fashionable
- Slang of, like, or for effeminate male homosexuals: a term of contempt and hostility
verbswished, swish·ing, swish·es
- To move with a hissing or whistling sound.
- To rustle, as silk.
- To cause to move with a swishing sound: The horse swished its tail.
- To swirl or agitate (a liquid) in a glass or in the mouth with a swishing sound.
- To whip with a rod.
- a. A sharp whistling or rustling sound: the swish of scythes.b. A movement making such a sound.
- Basketball A shot that goes through the net of the basket without hitting the backboard or rim.
- A rod used for flogging.
- Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a gay man.
- Chiefly British Fashionable; posh: “a swish pastry shop on the Rue du Bac” ( Julia Child )
- Offensive Slang Effeminate.
Origin of swishImitative
(comparative swisher or more swish, superlative swishest or most swish)
- A short rustling, hissing or whistling sound, often made by friction.
- A sound of liquid flowing inside a container.
- A movement of an animal's tail
- A twig or bundle of twigs, used for administering beatings; a switch
- (basketball) A successful basketball shot that does not touch the rim or backboard.
- An effeminate male homosexual.
(third-person singular simple present swishes, present participle swishing, simple past and past participle swished)
- To make a rustling sound while moving.
- The cane swishes.
- To flourish with a swishing sound.
- to swish a cane back and forth
- (slang, dated) To flog; to lash.
- (basketball) To make a successful basketball shot that does not touch the rim or backboard.
- (gay slang) To mince or otherwise to behave in an effeminate manner.
- I shall not swish; I'll merely act limp-wristed.