- a hissing, sputtering sound, as of an effervescent drink
- an effervescent drink
Origin of fizzuncertain or unknown; perhaps akin to fizzle
- to make a hissing or bubbling sound
- to give off gas bubbles; effervesce
intransitive verbfizzed, fizz·ing, fizz·es
To make a hissing or bubbling sound; effervesce.
- A hissing or bubbling sound.
- An effervescent beverage.
Origin of fizzImitative
- An emission of a rapid stream of bubbles.
- I poured a cola and waited for the fizz to settle down before topping off the glass.
- The sound of such an emission.
- Evan sat back in the hot tub and listened to the relaxing fizz and pops produced by the eruption of bubbles.
- A carbonated beverage.
- Nathan ordered an orange fizz from the soda jerk at the counter.
(third-person singular simple present fizzes, present participle fizzing, simple past and past participle fizzed)