- sodium oxide, NaO
- sodium bicarbonate
- sodium carbonate
- sodium hydroxide
- soda water
- ☆ soda pop
- ☆ a confection of soda water flavored with syrup, fruit, etc. and served with ice cream in it
- ☆ in faro, the card turned up in the dealing box before play starts
Origin of sodaMedieval Latin (or Italian or Sp) ; from Arabic suwayd, burnt plant (from which soda was produced), diminutive of ʾaswad, black
- a. Any of various forms of sodium carbonate.b. Chemically combined sodium.
- a. See carbonated water.
- A refreshment made from carbonated water, ice cream, and usually a flavoring.
- Games The card turned face up at the beginning of faro.
Origin of sodaMiddle English sode, soda, saltwort, soda, from Old Italian soda, perhaps from Arabic suwayd, soda, soda-plant or suwayda, type of saltwort; see šwd in Semitic roots.
(countable and uncountable, plural sodas)