- Emission is defined as the discharge of some substance, such as a gas, or the thing that is discharged.
Fumes that come off your car when you drive are an example of an emission.
Emissions from a car.
emission definition by Webster's New World
- the act of emitting; issuance; specif.,
- the transmission of radio waves
- the ejection of electrons from a surface by heat, radiation, etc.
- a discharge of fluid from the body; esp., an involuntary discharge of semen
- something emitted; discharge
Origin: Classical Latin emissio ; from past participle of emittere
emission definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or an instance of emitting.
- Something emitted.
- A substance discharged into the air, especially by an internal combustion engine.
Origin: Latin ēmissiō, ēmissiōn-, a sending out, from ēmissus, past participle of ēmittere, to send out; see emit.
emission - Medical Definition