Emissions from a car.
Emission is defined as the discharge of some substance, such as a gas, or the thing that is discharged.
Fumes that come off your car when you drive are an example of an emission.
- the act of emitting; issuance; specif.,
- the transmission of radio waves
- the ejection of electrons from a surface by heat, radiation, etc.
- a discharge of fluid from the body; esp., an involuntary discharge of semen
- something emitted; discharge; often, specif., exhaust from a gasoline or diesel engine
Origin of emissionClassical Latin emissio from past participle of emittere
- The act or an instance of emitting.
- Something emitted.
- A substance discharged into the air, as by an internal combustion engine.
Origin of emissionLatin ēmissiō ēmissiōn- a sending out from ēmissus past participle of ēmittere to send out ; see emit.
- That which is emitted or sent out.
- the emission was mostly blood
- The act of sending or throwing out; the act of sending forth or putting into circulation; issue.
- the emission of light from the sun
- the emission of heat from a fire
- simonies, simonise