- Premier means the earliest or most important.
An example of premier used as an adjective is in the phrase, "the amusement park's premier attraction," which means their best and most favorite attraction.
- The definition of a premier is a major official, especially in a government.
An example of a premier is Britain's Prime Minister.
premier definition by Webster's New World
- first in importance or rank; chief; foremost
- first in time; earliest
Origin: Middle English primier ; from Middle French premier ; from Classical Latin primarius ; from primus, first, prime
- any chief official
- the prime minister of any of certain countries
- the chief executive officer of a Canadian province
- the chief minister of an Australian State
- premiership noun
premier definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- First in status or importance; principal or chief: an architect of premier rank.
- First to occur or exist; earliest.
- A prime minister.
- A chief administrative officer, as of a Canadian province.
Origin: Middle English primier, from Old French, from Latin prīmārius, from prīmus, first; see per1 in Indo-European roots.
- pre·mierˈshipˌ noun
premier - Cultural Definition
The head of government in many nations. A premier's position is usually the same as that of a prime minister. The chiefs of government of the provinces of Canada are called premiers.