- Premier means the earliest or most important.
An example of premier used as an adjective is in the phrase, "the amusement park's premier attraction," which means their best and most favorite attraction.
- The definition of a premier is a major official, especially in a government.
An example of a premier is Britain's Prime Minister.
- first in importance or rank; chief; foremost
- first in time; earliest
Origin of premierMiddle English primier ; from Middle French premier ; from Classical Latin primarius ; from primus, first, prime
- any chief official
- the prime minister of any of certain countries
- the chief executive officer of a Canadian province
- the chief minister of an Australian State
- First in status or importance; principal or chief: an architect of premier rank.
- First to occur or exist; earliest.
- A prime minister.
- A chief administrative officer, as of a Canadian province.
Origin of premierMiddle English primier, from Old French, from Latin prīmārius, from prīmus, first; see per1 in Indo-European roots.
- Foremost; first or highest in quality or degree.
- (politics, UK, Westminster system) The leader of the government in parliament and leader of the cabinet.
- (politics, non-Westminster) The government leader in a legislative congress or leader of a government-level administrative body; the head of government.
- (nautical, slang) The first lieutenant or other second-in-command officer of a ship.
Often capitalised, especially when used as a title. In British English, prime minister and premier are interchangeable, while in Australia and Canada, the federal leader is the prime minister and the local leaders are premiers. The term prime minister is commonly a synonym also in non-Westminster system contexts
(third-person singular simple present premiers, present participle premiering, simple past and past participle premiered)
- To perform, display or exhibit for the first time.
- The composer invited all his friends when they premiered the movie he orchestrated, we got to see it before anyone but the crew.