- The definition of a plummet is something that weighs something else down.
An example of plummet is a weight tied to a piece of material.
- Plummet is defined as to fall down quickly and suddenly.
An example of plummet is for a model airplane to quickly plunge from the sky.
- plumb bob
- plumb ()
- a thing that weighs heavily
Origin: Middle English plomet from Middle French plommet, diminutive of plomb: see plumb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- See plumb bob.
- Something that weighs down or oppresses; a burden.
- To fall straight down; plunge.
- To decline suddenly and steeply: Stock prices plummeted.
Origin: Middle English plomet, from Old French, ball of lead, diminutive of plom, plomb, sounding lead, from Latin plumbum.