A rather rotund cat.
- A cat that is so large that it looks round is an example of something rotund.
- An example of something rotund is a man with a very big waistline.
- A opera singer's voice is an example of something rotund.
The definition of rotund is round, or fat, or with a full sound.
- round or rounded out; plump or stout
- full-toned; sonorous: a rotund voice
Origin of rotundClassical Latin rotundus, akin to rota, wheel: see roll
- Rounded in figure; plump. See Synonyms at fat.
- Round or spherical: “a rotund jar of limpid honey” (Aleksandar Hemon).
Origin of rotundLatin rotundus; see ret- in Indo-European roots.
- ro·tun′di·ty, ro·tund′ness
(comparative more rotund, superlative most rotund)