- Mayhem is defined as violence, damage or chaos, or the crime of crippling or mutilating a victim.
- An example of mayhem is a mosh pit that gets out of control at a rock concert.
- An example of mayhem is a person causing a victim to not be able to walk.
mayhem definition by Webster's New World
- Law the offense of maiming a person; specif.,
- the intentional mutilation of another's body
- injury inflicted on another so as to cause loss of a bodily part or function necessary for self-defense
- any deliberate destruction or violence
Origin: see maim
mayhem definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Law The offense of willfully maiming or crippling a person.
- Infliction of violent injury on a person or thing; wanton destruction: children committing mayhem in the flower beds.
- A state of violent disorder or riotous confusion; havoc.
Origin: Middle English maim, mayhem, from Anglo-Norman maihem, from Old French mahaigne, injury, from mahaignier, to maim, from Vulgar Latin *mahanāre, probably of Germanic origin.
mayhem - Legal Definition