- pl. -·ya or -·yas a member of an American Indian people found in Yucatán, Belize, and N Guatemala: the Maya had a highly developed civilization long before the arrival of Europeans early in the 16th cent.
- the Mayan language of this people
Origin of MayaSpanish ; from native name
- Hinduism the goddess Devi, or Shakti, consort of Siva
- in Hinduism and Indian philosophy, the illusory world of the senses
Origin of MayaSanskrit m?y?
- In Hinduism, Buddhism, and certain other East Asian religions, the transitory, manifold appearance of the sensible world, which obscures the undifferentiated spiritual reality from which it originates; the illusory appearance of the sensible world.
- Hinduism The power of a god or demon to transform a concept into an element of the sensible world.
Origin of mayaSanskrit maya.
nounpl. Maya or Ma·yas
- a. A member of a Mesoamerican Indian people inhabiting southeast Mexico, Guatemala, and Belize, whose civilization reached its height around AD 300–900. The Maya are noted for their architecture and city planning, their mathematics and calendar, and their hieroglyphic writing system.b. A modern-day descendant of this people.
- Any of the Mayan languages, especially Quiché and Yucatec.
Origin of MayaSpanish.
(plural Mayas or Maya)
Self-designation of the Yucatec Mayas.
- A female given name of modern usage.
- In Sanskrit, illusion; God's physical and metaphysical creation (literally, "not this").
- A female given name used in India.
maya - Computer Definition
3D animation and visual effects software for Windows and IRIX workstations from Autodesk, Inc. Formerly owned by Alias Systems Corporation, Toronto, Maya is known for its special character animation capabilities that enable human characters to be simulated with flesh tones, wrinkles and folds in clothing. Maya uses the MEL (Maya Embedded Language) scripting language to define sequences. Most films nominated for best visual effects by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences use Maya and other Alias imaging software. Autodesk acquired Alias in 2006. See Maya screen saver.