The definition of lukewarm is someone or something not very warm or lacking in enthusiasm.adjective
- An example of lukewarm is coffee after it's been sitting out for thirty minutes.
- An example of lukewarm is someone who reluctantly hugs another person.
- barely or moderately warm: said of liquids
- not very warm or enthusiastic: lukewarm praise
Origin: ME luke warme < luke, tepid (akin to LowG luk, Du leuk, tepid < IE *kleu- < base *kel-, warm > OE hleowe, tepid, L calere, to be warm) + warm, warm
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Mildly warm; tepid.
- Lacking conviction or enthusiasm; indifferent: gave only lukewarm support to the incumbent candidate.
Origin: Middle English leukwarm : leuk, luke (possibly alteration of leu, from Old English hlēow; see kelə-1 in Indo-European roots) + warm, warm; see warm.
- lukeˈwarmˈly adverb