- The definition of inner is something related to the inside, the spirit or private things.
- An example of inner is where the stomach is located.
- An example of inner are thoughts in the mind.
A woman searches for inner peace.
- located farther within; interior; internal: inner organs
- of the mind or spirit: inner peace
- more intimate, central, or secret: inner emotions
Origin of innerMiddle English ; from Old English innerra, comparative of inne, within, in
- Located or occurring farther inside: an inner room; an inner layer of warm clothing.
- Less apparent; deeper: the inner meaning of a poem.
- Of or relating to the mind or spirit: “Beethoven's manuscript looks like a bloody record of a tremendous inner battle” (Leonard Bernstein).
- More exclusive, influential, or important: the inner circles of government.
Origin of innerMiddle English, from Old English innera; see en in Indo-European roots.
(not generally comparable, comparative -, superlative innermost)
- Being or occurring (farther) inside, situated farther in, located (situated) or happening on the inside of something, situated within or farther within contained within something.
- inner door; inner room; inner sanctum; inner surface
- Close to the centre, located near or closer to center.
- the inner suburbs
- Inside or closer to the inside of the body.
- inner ear
- Of mind or spirit, relating to the mind or spirit, to spiritual or mental processes, mental, spiritual, relating to somebody's private feelings or happening in somebody's mind, existing as an often repressed part of one's psychological makeup.
- inner confidence; inner strength; inner life; inner child; inner artist; inner peace; inner light
- Not obvious, private, not expressed, not apparent, hidden, less apparent, deeper, obscure, ; innermost or essential, needing to be examined closely or thought about in order to be seen or understood.
- inner meaning; inner resources; inner logic
- Privileged, more or most privileged, more or most influential, intimate, exclusive, more important, more intimate, private, secret, confined to an exclusive group, exclusive to a center; especially a center of influence being near a center especially of influence.
- inner circle; inner council
- niner, renin