A pair of red gloves.
glove definition by Webster's New World
- a covering for the hand, made of leather, cloth, etc., with a separate sheath for each finger and the thumb
- a similar covering of padded leather worn by baseball players in the field
- boxing glove
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English glof and amp; Old Norse glofi ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Germanic an unverified form ga-lōfa ; from an unverified form ga-, together (OE ge-) plush an unverified form lōfa (Goth lōfa), palm of the hand: for Indo-European base see luff
glove definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A fitted covering for the hand with a separate sheath for each finger and the thumb.b. A gauntlet.
- Sports Any of various coverings for the hand designed to provide protection or improve the grip, as:a. An oversized leather glove used for catching baseballs, especially one with more finger sheaths than the catcher's or first baseman's mitt.b. A glove made of leather and fabric having padding on the back and extending over the wrist, used in hockey and lacrosse.c. A boxing glove.d. A close-fitting leather glove used to improve the grip, as in batting or in golf.
- Baseball Fielding ability: a shortstop with a good glove.
- To furnish with gloves.
- To cover with or as if with a glove.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English glōf.
glove - Computer Definition
glove - Phrases/Idioms
put on the gloves