The definition of a mitt is a padded glove for a specific purpose.
An example of a mitt is what the catcher position wears on one hand during a baseball game; a baseball mitt.
- a woman's glove, often of lace or net, covering part of the arm, the hand, and sometimes part of the fingers
- a padded glove or mitten for a specified use: oven mitts
- Slang a hand
- Baseball a padded glove, with a thumb but typically without distinct fingers, worn for protection by a catcher or first baseman
- a boxing glove
Origin of mittcontr. from mitten
- A type of glove that extends over the hand but only partially covers the fingers.
- A mitten.
- Baseball A large, padded, protective leather glove, usually with one sheath for the thumb and one undivided sheath for the remaining fingers, used by catchers and first basemen.
- Slang A hand or fist.
Origin of mittShort for mitten
Abbreviated from mitten.